Chief Government Chemist Laboratory is one of the oldest laboratories in Zanzibar and East Africa as a whole with an age of over 100 years. It started as small unit with three staff through ministerial department to an Agency with forty two staff.
The laboratory was located at Mnazi Mmoja and in 1992 it was transferred to Livingstone building after the collapse of the ministry building. In 1994 the laboratory was transferred to Mwanakwerekwe where it became an executive department until 2011 when it was officially changed into an agency. In 2013 it was shifted to Maruhubi industrial area formally a cigarette company about 5 km from Zanzibar town.
To be a center of excellence for quality, reliable, affordable analytical laboratory services by promoting health, social well-being to entire pupations and environmental interventions
To provide quality and cost effective laboratory services to all sectors through provision of excellence analytical services in effective, efficient, and sustainable manner for the purpose of protecting human health, environment and for execution of justice.
News & Event
Forensic division is accountable in carrying out analysis of forensic samples and provide scientific reports.
Responsibilities of Forensic Division
- To conduct scientific examination, analysis, evaluation and interpretation of physical objects and materials (forensic samples).
- To provide evidence in a legally admissible form to the law enforcements
- To provide educational programs and materials to stakeholders.
- To conduct and encouragement of research to expand forensic science services.
- To provide scientific advice and consultancy
Chemical and Environmental deal with testing and monitoring of air and water quality, waste management, industrial and consumer chemicals and chemical products as well as the enforcement of environmental and chemical regulations.
Responsibilities of Chemical and Environmental
- To carry out chemical and environmental analysis in relation to organic and inorganic pollutants.
- To offer advisory services on quality chemicals, chemical products for individuals, institutions and companies, and proper use/handling of chemicals and proper disposal/treatment of wastes for protection of both environment and public health.
The Food and Drugs is responsible to ensure that, the food and drug products and their raw materials imported to Zanzibar and those produced within Zanzibar for either internal use or export are in acceptable standards for consumption.
Responsibilities of Food and Drugs
- To evaluate and identify quality and safety of products such as food, drugs, cosmetics, soaps, toothpaste, honey, tea, coffee, infant milk and baby-based weaning foods for consumption by people.
- To conduct research activities.