Chief Government Chemist Laboratory was established in 1908 as a small laboratory under the Ministry of Health, in 1925 it was shifted to the Ministry of Agriculture in which its duties were related to researches on crops such as cloves, spices, fruits, soil analysis and livestock products especially milk and industrial products. Police cases and Forensic chemistry were later included among the activities performed by the laboratory. In 1994, the laboratory was shifted back to the Ministry of Health.
To be a center of excellence for quality, reliable, affordable analytical laboratory services by promoting health, social well-being to entire pupations and environmental interventions
To provide quality and cost effective laboratory services to all sectors through provision of excellence analytical services in effective, efficient, and sustainable manner for the purpose of protecting human health, environment and for execution of justice.
News & Event
- may have a duties of making inspection in any premises in which there is or is alleged that there are chemicals therein,
- take samples of any chemicals or articles to which these regulations relates and, as may be prescribed,
- submit such sample for test and analysis to another person dully authorized to make chemical analysis who; and
- Make examinations and enquiries to discover whether these regulations are complied with. ......read more
chemical Registration (CRE) is a section on Chemical division under the Directorate of chemical and Environment, which deals with the managing, controlling and registering all industrial and consumer chemicals in Zanzibar according to the establishment of chief government chemist laboratory agency act no. 11 of 2011 and Industrial and consumer chemical regulation of 2014; under this regulation, the section ensure the registration of;-
- Chemical dealers (distributers, importer, exporter, transporter, manufacture,
- Chemical and chemical product premises registration
Scope of Chemical registration
The Section deals with registration of chemical and chemical products with exception to human medicinal products.
The Section is headed by a head of section who leads a team of registration officers of different cadres including chemists and environmentalists. In addition to quality aspects of chemical management, the staffs have been trained in different specialty areas such as chemical inspection on production sites and warehouse and port of entry, assessment or review of chemical waste prior to disposal. Thus, the Section is well equipped with adequate knowledge; expertise and experience to ensure that the chemical registered in Zanzibar meet the national and international requirements.
Functions of the section
CRE Section performs the following functions and activities in regulation of chemical in fulfillment of the Agency’s mission of protecting and promoting public health and Environment:
- Evaluate applications for registration of chemical, chemical products, dealers of chemicals and premises;
- Register chemical, chemical products, dealers of chemicals and premises which have fulfilled the Industrial and consumer chemical regulation requirements;
- To update and publish information on registered Chemicals and chemical premises;
- Development and review of Industrial and Consumer chemical Regulations, guidelines, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and manuals;
- To attend and respond to customer enquiries related to chemical, chemical products, dealers of chemicals and premises registration.
During execution of the functions and implementation of the activities, the Section collaborates with the Inspection and Enforcement Section, in matters relating to chemical, chemical products, dealers of chemicals and premises registration.
Requirements needed during the registration of chemicals, chemical dealers and chemical premises.
- Application letter for chemical registration
- Business license
- TIN number
- ZRB Number
- Company registration number
- Payment receipt
- Material safety data sheet for each chemical registered
Attach the application forms
Application form of Chemical registration.
Application form for premises registration.
Application form for dealer of chemicals.
The Food and Drugs is responsible to ensure that, the food and drug products and their raw materials imported to Zanzibar and those produced within Zanzibar for either internal use or export are in acceptable standards for consumption.
Responsibilities of Food and Drugs
- To evaluate and identify quality and safety of products such as food, drugs, cosmetics, soaps, toothpaste, honey, tea, coffee, infant milk and baby-based weaning foods for consumption by people.
- To conduct research activities.